Winter Home Safety: Don’t Forget to Check Your Carbon Monoxide Detector

With winter having officially begun a week ago, we must not neglect a few important home inspection and safety precautions this season. Checking the carbon monoxide detector is a major aspect in home safety that must not be forgotten or overlooked.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) released a public document that provides a detailed overview about, Carbon Monoxide,  the silent killer and necessary safety precautions to take to avoid being poisoned. “Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas. Products and equipment powered by internal combustion engines such as portable generators, cars, lawn mowers, and power washers also produce CO.” Each year, an average of about 170 people in the United States die from this poisonous gas and even more people, into the thousands, go to the emergency room to be treated for Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Due to its odorless, colorless nature, CO is imperceptible to the human senses, resulting in many cases where people are unaware that they are even being exposed to the poison. Symptoms of low to moderate Carbon Monoxide poisoning are comparable to the flu, although there is no fever present. These symptoms include headache, fatigue, nausea, dizziness and shortness of breath. High level exposure to Carbon Monoxide poisoning cause more severe symptoms including vomiting, mental confusion, loss of muscle coordination, unconsciousness and ultimately death.
(Source: CPSC)

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is not something to take lightly. In fact, being one of the deadliest silent killers, it is imperative to take the time to make sure your detector is working properly. If you do not have a CO detector, we recommend getting one as soon as possible. Why risk the lives of loved ones when there are resources available to keep your home safe and alert you in case of high levels of CO?